Kimberly

Kim was diagnosed with AML Leukemia on July 22, 2009, just after she finished high school. She'd been feeling well, just showing a few bruises when she went to Primary Childrens Medical Center for a heart surgery to fix a relatively minor condition she's had since she was born. A blood test before the surgery showed that her blood had been completely taken over by the cancer. They admitted her that day and began treatment right away. She went through five long rounds of chemotherapy, doing relatively well, with the exception of one infection that led to a very scary stay in the Pediatric ICU. She spent almost all of that time in the hospital, with just a few breaks to go home. By the end of March 2010 she was allowed to go home for good- officially in remission! She was so excited to finally go to USU Fall semester, and got strait A's in all of her classes! Psychology, Humanities, Family Finance and ANATOMY. Not a week after finals, at a regular check up at PCMC, her blood tests showed that her cancer was back. And thus began round two- Kim's goal was to make it to a bone marrow transplant. We had found a donor, so all that was left was to get her in remission once more. After three rounds of chemotherapy, her body was no longer strong enough to keep fighting, no matter that her spirit was. She will always be with us. 7:48 pm, March 31, 2011

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Next Test witll be Monday!

Funny story for you:

I just spoke with Kim, and she was telling me about her day. The conversation went more or less like this:

Kim: "All I've done today is thrown up! At least ten times! I swear I've never thrown up this much in my whole life put together! At least I've been able to work it out though- I ordered some really great ice cream, and it was so delicious! It didn't even taste all that bad when I threw it right back up. So then I ordrered up some more! I haven't thrown that back up yet, but just thinking about it... urhhhg.... hold on...."

Mom: "Hi, Em. Kim's throwing up again. But how was your day?"

:) For all that she's still feeling so crummy, she is just a little bit better than she was Sunday, so we're grateful for that.

As I said in today's title, we have the date for her next bone marrow aspirate: this Monday. As you know, we really, really need her leukemia count to be under 8%. It was still at 15 after her last test. If it's under 8, they should be going ahead with the transplant round. If it's not, I really don't know what will happen.

So, again, and as always, please pray extra hard for Kim and her upcoming test.

Mike will be home in one week! Are you coming to his homecoming?
eldermikenelson.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. you guys are absolutely unbelievable. Love ya so much.
    Mick & Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim! We are from Logan and found your blog through our little friend, Andrew. Our 2 year old daughter Erin had AML and was in there June-Dec 2010. We did the 5 founds of chemo with no bone marrow transplant.

    I have been reading your blog for a few months now and finally I'm saying "hello." I am so amazed at your strength and what you've been through. We live near USU and sometimes I wonder if we've run into you one time or another while you were in college.

    I hope that you can get over that nausea! I will pray for you that your bone marrow aspirate comes back with good results.

    Some of our cancer friends are going to DC this month to talk with congress reps about getting more funding for childhood cancer. They are making a scrapbook with stories of our children who have cancer. If you would like to put together your story and some pictures to add to that book I think it would be so helpful! You can email me at johnjillhuz@yahoo.com.

    Again, I will pray for you! I am so sorry you have to go through this.

    Love,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray the Lord is listening and about to bless you all with all he has. We love you and pray the weekend is better and you get the test results you need to get the transplant started. Take care! Renee and Pat

    ReplyDelete