Kimberly

Kim was diagnosed with AML Leukemia on July 22, 2009, just after she finished high school. She'd been feeling well, just showing a few bruises when she went to Primary Childrens Medical Center for a heart surgery to fix a relatively minor condition she's had since she was born. A blood test before the surgery showed that her blood had been completely taken over by the cancer. They admitted her that day and began treatment right away. She went through five long rounds of chemotherapy, doing relatively well, with the exception of one infection that led to a very scary stay in the Pediatric ICU. She spent almost all of that time in the hospital, with just a few breaks to go home. By the end of March 2010 she was allowed to go home for good- officially in remission! She was so excited to finally go to USU Fall semester, and got strait A's in all of her classes! Psychology, Humanities, Family Finance and ANATOMY. Not a week after finals, at a regular check up at PCMC, her blood tests showed that her cancer was back. And thus began round two- Kim's goal was to make it to a bone marrow transplant. We had found a donor, so all that was left was to get her in remission once more. After three rounds of chemotherapy, her body was no longer strong enough to keep fighting, no matter that her spirit was. She will always be with us. 7:48 pm, March 31, 2011

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hi my dear friends,

I just wanted you to know that Kim is doing well. Not much has changed, but in small ways she is doing better. They've taken her off of one of her antibiotics, and are slowly decreasing the amount of fluids they give her, which means her kidneys are starting to function just a little bit better. She is still making do with IVs in her hands/arms, because they haven't wanted to risk the infection that an internal line might cause.

I just wanted to thank all of you again for all of the support you've been giving her. It's just as hard as it's ever been- even harder, in ways, and we always need you more than ever. Thank you.

To the McDonalds- thanks for the Irish Luck basket! The green decorations have been fun for the holiday!

To the McClungs- Thanks as always for your adorable packages! They're always winners.

To the Nolans and Rawlinsons- thank you for always posting your support.

To Melissa- thank you, dear, for spending the weekend with Kim so mom, dad and I could pay attention to Mike. It was hard leaving her, but I know you took good care of her.

Ah, you know how individual thanks are- of course I'm going to leave people out. But I love you all, so much, for what you've been doing for my family. Thank YOU!

And hey- those new wristbands will work great for St. Patrick's Day!

Oh- one more side note. These late posts are almost always done as I'm falling asleep, and usually from my phone. After the first paragraph, it doesn't automatically keep up with where I am typing- so I make a lot of errors. I decided long ago not to let it bother me- and even though I usually notice as I'm posting it... I tend to just let it go. Maybe some day I'll go through and edit them. Until then- I know you love me anyway!

Goodnight! Love, Emily

1 comment:

  1. Oh Emily, you are such a good sister for Kim. Thank you for posting. I really worry about her and I am always relieved when I hear how she is doing. You all need to have the courage and strength of a lifetime to get through this. I believe there are angels all around and (hopefully) helping you through this. If I were an angel I would be right there with you!!
    Our prayers are with you all!!! Love Renee

    ReplyDelete