Kimberly

Kim was diagnosed with AML Leukemia on July 22, 2009, just after she finished high school. She'd been feeling well, just showing a few bruises when she went to Primary Childrens Medical Center for a heart surgery to fix a relatively minor condition she's had since she was born. A blood test before the surgery showed that her blood had been completely taken over by the cancer. They admitted her that day and began treatment right away. She went through five long rounds of chemotherapy, doing relatively well, with the exception of one infection that led to a very scary stay in the Pediatric ICU. She spent almost all of that time in the hospital, with just a few breaks to go home. By the end of March 2010 she was allowed to go home for good- officially in remission! She was so excited to finally go to USU Fall semester, and got strait A's in all of her classes! Psychology, Humanities, Family Finance and ANATOMY. Not a week after finals, at a regular check up at PCMC, her blood tests showed that her cancer was back. And thus began round two- Kim's goal was to make it to a bone marrow transplant. We had found a donor, so all that was left was to get her in remission once more. After three rounds of chemotherapy, her body was no longer strong enough to keep fighting, no matter that her spirit was. She will always be with us. 7:48 pm, March 31, 2011

Thursday, March 4, 2010

It's still boring

Waiting waiting waiting. I'm almost out of here I just know it. My counts are still not coming up but hopefully they will soon. The past four nights I've thrown up. My doctors are wondering if maybe my stomach isn't digesting properly. I've stopped itching though so that's good.
Yesterday I reached a new low in my weight, 96 pounds. AY CARAMBA! I gained a little more today thank goodness. I haven't weighed this little since 6th grade I believe.
The wound team has tried a new approach to treating my sores. The bandages they put on them are like little wet pillows. I like to draw faces on the ones they put on my ankle.



It's starting to look nice outside, I can't wait to go out there :) spring is on it's way!
I'm starting to think of what to do when I'm released from this place. I want to take this CNA class at Bridgerland. It's starts on March 29th, registration is on the 15th. I don't know if I'll be able to get out of here in time to sign up :(
I've had Irish as a nurse the past few days, He's crazy :) very entertaining. The other day he stuck a rubber glove over his head. Don't ask me how he didn't suffocate. Oh what that man doesn't do to make the kids here laugh.



I wrote to a few missionaries the other day. To one of them I tried to draw a leprechaun face for him for St. Patrick's day.



Well that's about it :) enjoy the rising temperature!

5 comments:

  1. You know my little Marie would totally freak out if she saw that picture of Irish with the glove on his head!! She has a phobia of things being blown up and it started when Todd blew up a work glove of mine when she was 18 months old. She now makes me cover up my box of gloves whenever she rides in the car with me!

    So good to read about the plans you are making for when you are discharged! Yeah! Let me know if you need anything like a reference or advice...Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as it is the temperature outside and not in your poor little body, I will enjoy it!
    Getting into the CNA program is hard sometimes, just because it fills up so fast. My daughter, Mary, the one that works at PCH, took it when she was 15 here at BATC. If you need and want help signing up i would be willing to help. Now that is love! I remember Mary going to stand in line at 5am or some horrible hour. But for you, i would do it! BUT-you have to get better!!! As if you didn't have enough internal motivation.
    I love you and look forward to your return!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim, Julie, David and Emily,

    There is a seven year old boy, Spencer, he was diagnosed with rhabdomysarcoma-a soft tissue tumor that will require months of chemo and radiation. The tumor is between his eye and ear on one side of his face. Spencer was just diagnosed on January 30, 2010 so this is very recent.

    Here is a link to his blog. http://mysuperspence.blogspot.com/ He was in my cousin's primary class when they first moved back to Utah from Texas. I thought you might (all of you) help this family in a way that I cannot. I haven't told them anything about you or your situation, as I have only been introduced to them myself through my cousins blog. I know that you have first hand experience going through a very difficult situation and that your feedback and thoughts might be able to help them deal or cope with what is happening in their lives.


    I know it helps me to communicate with people who are going through similar situations, as what I have gone through and thought it might give them something to hold on to. Just a thought. Hope things are still going good. I love you all and my prayers are with you.
    Love Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great to see a post from you and sense your optimism. I know that things will be alright. Can't imagine how it would be to be cooped up with spring coming. But....soon!!
    Lois and I have lived for almost 3 years in our trailer now (a different one than we had in Logan so it is a bit bigger) but she is really getting tired of it. We will be returning to Heber Valley Camp for one more Summer and then we plan to sell it and buy a car. We only have the truck right now.
    Get better! What a character this Irish guy is. I assume he just took a big breath, put the glove on his head, and then blew out his breath...right? I have seen that done somewhere before.
    Tell Mom and Dad and Emily and Mike we love them all.
    Hope to see you soon.
    Don and Lois

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love Walter and the other pillow buddies :) The latest one had been dubbed "Puffy" ... we must get a photo on soon to share with you. He's a real keeper!

    ReplyDelete