Kimberly

Kim was diagnosed with AML Leukemia on July 22, 2009, just after she finished high school. She'd been feeling well, just showing a few bruises when she went to Primary Childrens Medical Center for a heart surgery to fix a relatively minor condition she's had since she was born. A blood test before the surgery showed that her blood had been completely taken over by the cancer. They admitted her that day and began treatment right away. She went through five long rounds of chemotherapy, doing relatively well, with the exception of one infection that led to a very scary stay in the Pediatric ICU. She spent almost all of that time in the hospital, with just a few breaks to go home. By the end of March 2010 she was allowed to go home for good- officially in remission! She was so excited to finally go to USU Fall semester, and got strait A's in all of her classes! Psychology, Humanities, Family Finance and ANATOMY. Not a week after finals, at a regular check up at PCMC, her blood tests showed that her cancer was back. And thus began round two- Kim's goal was to make it to a bone marrow transplant. We had found a donor, so all that was left was to get her in remission once more. After three rounds of chemotherapy, her body was no longer strong enough to keep fighting, no matter that her spirit was. She will always be with us. 7:48 pm, March 31, 2011

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

To All of You

Dear Friends and Family,
I feel like I need to apologize to all of you. I have been having a pretty rough time this past week- we all are, aren't we? But I've let it get me down, and though I've been totally honest in my posts, I feel like I haven't been as positive as I should, and as I have tried to be up until now. I think it was because it just seemed like I wasn't doing the situation justice if I said things like, "...but I know it will just be a matter of time before Kim gets past this as well!" or, "It's been rough, but she'll be okay!" I felt fake, being optimistic, and I was also selfish. I thought if I shared the worry unfiltered, you would all be more inclined to pray for Kim. Because really, it's gotten to the point where she really can't get much worse than she is. If she has any more complications, or she doesn't pull through the state she's in now, she's not going to make it. But those are just facts. And I now feel guilty for not showing more faith to all of you.
Although things haven't changed much for Kim, I KNOW SHE IS GOING TO PULL THROUGH THIS. I'm not just saying that because of karma, or "the secret" or even the simple healthy facts of maintaining a good attitude. Though we have as a family faced the fact that she may not survive this, we KNOW that she will. Kim had already done so much in life, and touched the lives of so many others, but I know it's only a small part of the things she will accomplish her whole life through.
It is going to be a rough road still, but I couldn't ask for a better family, or better friends to help us along the way. Thank you all, so very much.
Love, Emily

3 comments:

  1. Hi Emily...considering all that you are going through, I am surprised at the amazing attitude that you have had...being sleep deprived and anxious over Kim's condition. So, no need to apologize. What a great blessing to have the Internet and I am sure many others appreciate your diligence in updating it. Working with other families with critically ill family members, it is also therapuetic for you to keep a blog. As far as your family goes: First Mike leaves on his mission, you get engaged, Kim gets diagnosed with luekemia, and now is in ICU, and it's the Christmas season. This is not where your family expected to be right now, so wow, lots of changes you were not planning on. I do feel that Kim's trial is pulling us closer together as a ward family. We continue to pray for her recovery and are thinking of you and we wish we could do more. Waiting is so hard. Thank you so much for the posts. We love you all! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. i second what carol says! thanks so much for the posts! its a great blessing to at least be able to read what is going on and how she is doing. have a merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I think your strength shines through with these posts. One reason to do this blog is to let us be your strength every once in awhile. We all appreciate what you are doing in keeping us informed of what is going on, and we realize the reality. I think you do a great job, and most of the people that read these posts know the faith you and your family have in the gospel. My testimony is increased from Kim's testimony that was posted and the thoughts that you share. Remember, that the trials we go through increase our faith if we let them, but sometimes we don't see that until they are over. I want you to know that I know how strong your testimony and faith is and I believe that it is your faith in the gospel that enables you to have created this blog. It is ok to lean on others strength at times, we are all here for you and your family. From the comments I've seen the 15th is doing what they can, as well as other members in the Stake. Know that I am here thinking and praying for all of you as well. I feel so lucky to have been your Young Woman leader to know all these things are true from a personal stand point. Heavenly Father loves all of you so much and is watching over Kim and each of you. Plus, you are at one of the best hospitals. Thank you for doing this blog, and again know that I love you and am praying for Kim and each of you as well.

    ReplyDelete