Kimberly

Kim was diagnosed with AML Leukemia on July 22, 2009, just after she finished high school. She'd been feeling well, just showing a few bruises when she went to Primary Childrens Medical Center for a heart surgery to fix a relatively minor condition she's had since she was born. A blood test before the surgery showed that her blood had been completely taken over by the cancer. They admitted her that day and began treatment right away. She went through five long rounds of chemotherapy, doing relatively well, with the exception of one infection that led to a very scary stay in the Pediatric ICU. She spent almost all of that time in the hospital, with just a few breaks to go home. By the end of March 2010 she was allowed to go home for good- officially in remission! She was so excited to finally go to USU Fall semester, and got strait A's in all of her classes! Psychology, Humanities, Family Finance and ANATOMY. Not a week after finals, at a regular check up at PCMC, her blood tests showed that her cancer was back. And thus began round two- Kim's goal was to make it to a bone marrow transplant. We had found a donor, so all that was left was to get her in remission once more. After three rounds of chemotherapy, her body was no longer strong enough to keep fighting, no matter that her spirit was. She will always be with us. 7:48 pm, March 31, 2011

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day 11



These are the decorations I made out of construction paper and paper towels. Look how short my Christmas chain is getting! Time to get out of here! ;) My ANC is officially at 0 now. Good. Now it can go back up and I can go home in time for Christmas! WOOHOO! I was tested for c-diff (gross icky bacterial infection in the intestines) but the two test results came back negative. But they don't believe it and are thinking about testing me AGAIN and keeping me on the antibiotics anyway. WHAT?! Crazy doctors!

Oh good, my nurse just told me I didn't have to take the antibiotics anymore. Happy day! :)

I'm growing my eyebrows and eyelashes back. Yay!! I wonder when they're going to start falling out. But I'll enjoy it while it lasts :)

My taste buds are still all weird from the chemo. I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast and it was like eating a sponge. Very weird. Speaking of food, last night mom and I got take out from Sizzlers. It was tasty! But the lady who took the order really messed up mine. I asked for lemon herb chicken and fries. I got the chicken, shrimp and rice. The rice was good though and I gave mom the shrimp. :)

So not much is happening, which is good. Just trying to find ways to pass the time. I did start reading "Chalice" by Robin McKinley yesterday and finished it.

Thanks again for all your love and support :) You're all so awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment