Kimberly

Kim was diagnosed with AML Leukemia on July 22, 2009, just after she finished high school. She'd been feeling well, just showing a few bruises when she went to Primary Childrens Medical Center for a heart surgery to fix a relatively minor condition she's had since she was born. A blood test before the surgery showed that her blood had been completely taken over by the cancer. They admitted her that day and began treatment right away. She went through five long rounds of chemotherapy, doing relatively well, with the exception of one infection that led to a very scary stay in the Pediatric ICU. She spent almost all of that time in the hospital, with just a few breaks to go home. By the end of March 2010 she was allowed to go home for good- officially in remission! She was so excited to finally go to USU Fall semester, and got strait A's in all of her classes! Psychology, Humanities, Family Finance and ANATOMY. Not a week after finals, at a regular check up at PCMC, her blood tests showed that her cancer was back. And thus began round two- Kim's goal was to make it to a bone marrow transplant. We had found a donor, so all that was left was to get her in remission once more. After three rounds of chemotherapy, her body was no longer strong enough to keep fighting, no matter that her spirit was. She will always be with us. 7:48 pm, March 31, 2011

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I'm BACK!

It's true! The cancer fighting chica is back in town! It's freezing here by the way, last time I was outside it was nice and warm. What happened? I haven't been gone that long ;) Being back is nice though, kind of surprising, they let me go with my ANC still at zero. I have no immunity, zip, nada. Kind of crazy, but I'm not complaining! They must also have to consider my mental health, so they let me out. It was for the greater good. Everyone and their dog seems to be sick though. Fingers crossed I don't catch something, I have no way to fight it off. Oh man, I have this new antibiotic that hangs on a pole like the hospital. Darn... I thought I escaped those evil poles, at least this one doesn't beep at me all the time. :D

3 comments:

  1. Its so good to hear from you!! Hope you enjoy your trip home!! Sending hugs!! love, Kimberly Sorensen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Home! I would loove to come and see you but I am afraid I might have been around something not good for you! Pat has a cold and sore throat . . .:(
    since you are 18 and no longer attending the university ward You are officially part of our Relief Society--WELCOME!
    I even assigned you your very own visiting teacher--Charla/ I knew she would be there for you.
    Welcome to the cold cold north It has been a surprise-early attack for all of us.
    I am glad you are home, be happy and remember how much we love you! Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim,
    I'm in your ward and I promised your Mom I would bring you a book of Broadway songs for guitar/voice/piano since I hear you are learning guitar. So cool! Sorry I've been a flake and not gotten that to you. I promise, I will! Cool pictures of your room and I liked your story about how small the world is and just how you never know the connections we will find with seemingly perfect strangers. Best Wishes!
    Shelly Mock

    ReplyDelete