Kimberly

Kim was diagnosed with AML Leukemia on July 22, 2009, just after she finished high school. She'd been feeling well, just showing a few bruises when she went to Primary Childrens Medical Center for a heart surgery to fix a relatively minor condition she's had since she was born. A blood test before the surgery showed that her blood had been completely taken over by the cancer. They admitted her that day and began treatment right away. She went through five long rounds of chemotherapy, doing relatively well, with the exception of one infection that led to a very scary stay in the Pediatric ICU. She spent almost all of that time in the hospital, with just a few breaks to go home. By the end of March 2010 she was allowed to go home for good- officially in remission! She was so excited to finally go to USU Fall semester, and got strait A's in all of her classes! Psychology, Humanities, Family Finance and ANATOMY. Not a week after finals, at a regular check up at PCMC, her blood tests showed that her cancer was back. And thus began round two- Kim's goal was to make it to a bone marrow transplant. We had found a donor, so all that was left was to get her in remission once more. After three rounds of chemotherapy, her body was no longer strong enough to keep fighting, no matter that her spirit was. She will always be with us. 7:48 pm, March 31, 2011

Friday, October 2, 2009

Day 22... still here... going crazy!



Hi everyone, it's me Kim. How are you all doing? Everything is going fine after 22 days of being in the hospital. My blood is finally starting to rebuild, slowly, but it's starting! Yay! So I might be able to come home soon, I'm crossing my fingers for next week. As fun as this place is, I love being home :) Guess what! This is a really REALLY small world. For the past two days, this student has been shadowing different doctors of mine. He's come in with them to see how I'm doing both yesterday and today. Well today, he was looking at my pictures on my bulletin board. He saw the picture of Mike and the other elders in his area and he recognized them! Turns out he actually served there in that same area as Mike for like a month. Crazy! Even more crazy is he came back later to talk to me! And we talked for like an hour! YAY! :D He's really nice and funny. He gave me his e-mail address so I can find him on facebook.
Oh my nurse just came in, she said I might be discharged this weekend if I don't get any fevers and such. But she said that's just rumor going around. I'll know I'm going home when the discharge nurse comes in.
So to explain the pictures.... I had a little fun with my room's decorations yesterday and mom took pictures of my crazy silliniess. The drum I'm beating was brought by musical therapy. I believe they said it was a type of African drum and they're teaching me how to use it. Pretty fun.

1 comment:

  1. he he your sill! lol you were in my dream last night! you getting mad at me for not visiting you but i said i was sick and i didn't to get you sick and you said "ok fine!! but i'm still mad at you!" it was weird and kinda silly! and you were wearing a purple wig! it was weird!

    ReplyDelete