Kimberly

Kim was diagnosed with AML Leukemia on July 22, 2009, just after she finished high school. She'd been feeling well, just showing a few bruises when she went to Primary Childrens Medical Center for a heart surgery to fix a relatively minor condition she's had since she was born. A blood test before the surgery showed that her blood had been completely taken over by the cancer. They admitted her that day and began treatment right away. She went through five long rounds of chemotherapy, doing relatively well, with the exception of one infection that led to a very scary stay in the Pediatric ICU. She spent almost all of that time in the hospital, with just a few breaks to go home. By the end of March 2010 she was allowed to go home for good- officially in remission! She was so excited to finally go to USU Fall semester, and got strait A's in all of her classes! Psychology, Humanities, Family Finance and ANATOMY. Not a week after finals, at a regular check up at PCMC, her blood tests showed that her cancer was back. And thus began round two- Kim's goal was to make it to a bone marrow transplant. We had found a donor, so all that was left was to get her in remission once more. After three rounds of chemotherapy, her body was no longer strong enough to keep fighting, no matter that her spirit was. She will always be with us. 7:48 pm, March 31, 2011

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Relay for Life: Team KIM!

Okay Everyone, BIG NEWS! I decided to go ahead and do it! I've created a team in honor of Kim for the upcoming Relay for Life through the American Cancer Society in our area.
It was a little late to be doing so. I was just planning on joining the committee team myself and running with them, but I've been thinking lately that I need to give all of you the opportunity to show up, and celebrate OUR victory together! (Don't worry, party plans are still in the making, but how could we pass this up as well?)

The event takes place April 23-24, from 5pm to 5am, at the Nelson Field House on USU Campus. There will be games, live entertainment, food, friends, family and more! It is open to the public, and t-shirts are available (though I think these need to be pre-ordered, and we might be a bit late for that. No promises.)

The night will start out with a special Survivors Lap. I have already registered Kim for this. If any of you know of other survivors who would like to participate, please let them know. I know it is going to be a very special thing.

The purpose of the whole event is to celebrate life, raise awareness and generate donations for the American Cancer Society... by keeping a runner (walker, jogger, etc) on the track throughout the whole 12 hour event. I am hoping to raise $200 as a team (though the website, if you follow the upcoming link, does say $1000, I’m setting my sights a little lower.) If any of you can make a donation, it is very easy to do so through the website, through our team name:

KEEP RUNNING KIM

:) I thought you would like that. I considered calling it, "Kim Kept Running" or some such thing, but she still has a long way to go- the race isn't over yet!

Please pass this information along. I will gladly welcome as many team members as I can find. I don't know if I can make it the whole 12 hours on my own- once again, I need your help!

Here is the link:

relayforlife.org/utahstateuniversityut

Thank you all so much!

Love, Emily

3 comments:

  1. As you could guess I am not much of a runner but I can make a donation! You go girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! We are so excited for the relay for life! We would LOVE to join Kim's team! I sent Emily an email. I just had a few questions about the relay for life. thanks for all you do and Kim we love you lots! The McClungs

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete