Kimberly

Kim was diagnosed with AML Leukemia on July 22, 2009, just after she finished high school. She'd been feeling well, just showing a few bruises when she went to Primary Childrens Medical Center for a heart surgery to fix a relatively minor condition she's had since she was born. A blood test before the surgery showed that her blood had been completely taken over by the cancer. They admitted her that day and began treatment right away. She went through five long rounds of chemotherapy, doing relatively well, with the exception of one infection that led to a very scary stay in the Pediatric ICU. She spent almost all of that time in the hospital, with just a few breaks to go home. By the end of March 2010 she was allowed to go home for good- officially in remission! She was so excited to finally go to USU Fall semester, and got strait A's in all of her classes! Psychology, Humanities, Family Finance and ANATOMY. Not a week after finals, at a regular check up at PCMC, her blood tests showed that her cancer was back. And thus began round two- Kim's goal was to make it to a bone marrow transplant. We had found a donor, so all that was left was to get her in remission once more. After three rounds of chemotherapy, her body was no longer strong enough to keep fighting, no matter that her spirit was. She will always be with us. 7:48 pm, March 31, 2011

Friday, February 19, 2010

AH!!! I'm in a CLOSET!



So maybe it's a little bigger than a closet, but it's much much smaller than the normal rooms in the ICS. This is called a sedation room. There are four of them in their own little area. I'm only going to be in here for awhile, then I'll get a bigger room. The whole hospital is full, they're sticking kids in places they usually wouldn't. One kid had to be put in a room the physician on call uses to sleep in. Crazy.
It's kind of fun being here since it's a totally new thing. Two of the kids are babies, but the other one is a 21 year old boy. Mom and I wemt to visit with him and his dad. Apparently we're all getting together tomorrow for a movie haha. It's nice being able to talk to someone around my age who's going through similiar things.
I was pretty low on red blood cells and platelets when I came in, so I've recieved two bags of blood and a bag of platelets. I started my first dose of ARA-C. I believe I'm getting about 2000 mL of ARA-C total. My ANC went from 2200 to 100 in a week. That's fast.
When I'm done with this whole cancer thing I'm really going to miss the people here. They've been so so amazing. They make having to come here and have chemotherapy so much more bearable.

1 comment:

  1. Every day there makes you a day closer to being healed and coming home for the last time! My daughter, Mary, started to work there at PCH today. She is a surgical assistant so you may never see her. She loves working at Primarys, she has worked there before. There is just great spirit about the place.
    I love you, Renee

    ReplyDelete