Kimberly

Kim was diagnosed with AML Leukemia on July 22, 2009, just after she finished high school. She'd been feeling well, just showing a few bruises when she went to Primary Childrens Medical Center for a heart surgery to fix a relatively minor condition she's had since she was born. A blood test before the surgery showed that her blood had been completely taken over by the cancer. They admitted her that day and began treatment right away. She went through five long rounds of chemotherapy, doing relatively well, with the exception of one infection that led to a very scary stay in the Pediatric ICU. She spent almost all of that time in the hospital, with just a few breaks to go home. By the end of March 2010 she was allowed to go home for good- officially in remission! She was so excited to finally go to USU Fall semester, and got strait A's in all of her classes! Psychology, Humanities, Family Finance and ANATOMY. Not a week after finals, at a regular check up at PCMC, her blood tests showed that her cancer was back. And thus began round two- Kim's goal was to make it to a bone marrow transplant. We had found a donor, so all that was left was to get her in remission once more. After three rounds of chemotherapy, her body was no longer strong enough to keep fighting, no matter that her spirit was. She will always be with us. 7:48 pm, March 31, 2011

Monday, November 23, 2009

Kim's Testimony while in PCMC

The Primary President at the PCMC Branch asked Kim if she would write her testimony for for her to share with the Branch. They were impressed with her testimony and shared it with the Stake President and others. Here it is:

My diagnoses of leukemia came as a complete shock. I came to Primary Children's for a heart surgery. I have SVT (supraventricle tachycardia) and a hole in my heart I was going to have fixed. Both I could live with, but because I want to remain an active person, it was a better option to get the operations.

The day before, I came down with a high fever. When I arrived at the hospital, one of my doctors was worried I was coming down with the flu and postponed my surgery. While I had been waiting for his decision, I told a nurse how the past few months I was getting bruises really easy and how when I'd do something as simple as walking up a flight of stairs, I'd get a throbbing headache. I thought that was because of my heart, but my doctor said he'd never heard of that. After a blood test, I was sent up to the oncology clinic where they told me I had leukemia. A few days later they found out I had AML, the more aggressive type of leukemia. I learned my treatment would also be more aggressive, I'd have to remain in the hospital for a month, only to go home for a little amount of time before going back for another month.

This was the last thing I thought I'd be doing right after I graduated from high school. I had to put off going to college, quit my job and leave my home. I've tried to be as positive as I could, I know things could be much worse than they are now. One thing I was sad about was that I wouldn't be able to go to church for a long time.

But I received an awesome surprise. Two men brought the sacrament to me one Sunday. I was able to participate in that ordinance, something I didn't think I was going to be able to do for a long time. What a service these men are willing to do for me. Even though I am stuck in the hospital, I can still partake of the sacrament and be forgiven of my sins. I was filled with joy. Soon after I started receiving lessons on Sunday from two sisters as well. It brings the spirit into my room. It feels so wonderful. The things I learn I try to apply to my life.

The members who come touch my life, they're such good examples to me. So loving and kind. They're willing to sacrifice their time for people like me. Though it may seem like a little thing to them to give one girl a lesson or the sacrament, it's really big and important to me. It makes my stay at the hospital that much easier.

I know, with all my heart, that this is the true church. I will not and can not deny that. The Gospel brings so many blessings to my family and I. Even in this horrible situation I can still be so happy, so full of joy. I know I'm not alone. There is someone who knows exactly what I'm going through, someone I can always talk to anytime, who loves me so much, who knows I can do this. My Savior, Jesus Christ. As it says in John 14:18, "I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you." I'm not alone, what a comfort to be able to know this! I can do this, even though it gets harder and harder. I can do it. And I'll do it joyfully. I'll press forward, through thick and thin. This trial was given to me to test my weaknesses, to make me stronger. The Lord will help me, I'm not alone, His spirit is with me. I feel at peace. I'm am so grateful for this Gospel, I can't imagine facing any trial without it.

4 comments:

  1. Kim, you are such an inspiration to me. I saw you from a distance at church this Sunday and you looked fabulous. I would have loved to introduce myself but a slight cold kept me from getting too close. When I've tried to find an excuse to not exercise every day I'm reminded that even in your situation you've found ways to workout...and it keeps me going. So thank you for being such a wonderful example! Have an awesome Thankgsiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I am so happy that you have the strong testimony that you have. It was a joy to read. Keep up the good fight...you are special.
    Bishop (Don) Rawlinson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your testimony Kim. You are awesome and strengthen me by the wonderful attitude and strong testimony you have through all of this. I hope you know that you are touching many lives for the good. Love you...Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kim,
    You are such a special person. Your testimony is, and will be, a guide post for me. I know that your Savior has you tucked in close to him. I know He is with your family, helping them to be there for you.
    My prayers are with you and yours,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete